What I've Learned

My mentor at my old job, Deb, is the person who has encouraged me to blog.  One of the things I'm going to miss the most about my former job is our monthly lunches and getting to hear her advice.  She told me I need to write about what I've learned in my time working for Corporate America; specifically what I learned in my most recent position.  I'll do my best.

  1. If something scares you and it doesn't feel comfortable to do because it will be hard, it's probably the right thing to do. 

    Props again to Deb for this one. 
    Just to clarify I'm not talking about things where you know it's dangerous and you get that icky something's not right feeling.  I hope that makes sense.  My most recent review, in my opinion, was unjust.  Deb encouraged me to write a rebuttal, meet with my manager and the head of our department in order to review my rebuttal, and to ask that they change the review.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  I shook like a leaf the whole time.  Honestly?  They didn't really listen to me.  But I know in my heart and soul that I did everything in my power.  That in and of itself is satisfying.
  2. People are human.  This means people can be small, people can make mistakes, people can hurt you without malicious intent.
     
  3. When you operate from a place of fear you don't truly live and you stay in places that aren't right for you. 

    Over and over people have told me how brave and courageous my decision is.  I suppose to some it is because they would think about the scary things like money, how long it will take to finish school, or starting from scratch in a new career.  For me it's not scary.  It's the next necessary step.  I'll be honest those things can overwhelm me at times but then I come back to God and find peace.  Once I came to the realization that this was what I was called to do I found a inner calm and peace.  It was like everything fell just into the right place.
     
  4.  People are going to want you to sit down and shut up.  At times it will be easy to let them beat you into submission but that won't feel right either.  Stand up, speak out, and don't give a shit what they think about you.
     
  5.  Always do you.  This is related to #4.  Don't let people's poor expectations become your reality.
Next time, I'd like to talk a little about my road to seminary.

Comments

Popular Posts