A Lament

It has been far too long.  When I last posted I was heading to the UMC General Conference in Portland, OR.  Since then I have returned from Portland, finished my second year in graduate school which was also the first year of my MSW program, gotten married, bought a condo, moved, and now will be completing my first level internship.

 I'm devastated at what has happened in Charlottesville, but I am not surprised.  I am angry.  I am scared.  White supremacy is a sin.  We must call it what it is.  We must face the demons in our country.  We must stand together and rise up because Black Lives Matter.  Because LGBTQ lives matter.  Because immigrant lives matter.  Because Muslim lives matter.  Because Jewish lives matter.

I wanted to share something I wrote this past week.  It's a lament.  I wrote it before all that has happened in Charlottesville based off of what I've experienced this summer at my internship.  I intern at a drop in center for people experiencing homelessness in Chicago.  I think it conveys how I feel about that has happened this weekend as well.

Fuck people who don't follow the rules.
Fuck those who force you to sit in uncomfortableness
Fuck those who laugh off your concerns with a joke because they can't handle getting called out.

Fuck the desperate situations that people get trapped in.
Fuck the systems that have created these situations.
Fuck the people who think those folks are lazy or don't do enough to help themselves.
Fuck "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps"
Fuck the bootstraps.

Fuck this shit O Lord.

I'm tired.
Tired of having to tell people no when they ask for more food because they're hungry.
Tired of telling people they can only have one pair of underwear for the month.
Tired of telling them the shower sign ups are full.
Tired of drawing the lines only to have them crossed by others.
Tired of stuff getting stolen.
Tired of the battle against all the "thems."

We are all people.
We are all worthy.
We are all desperately trying to find how we fit in this world.

Strengthen me, Creator, for the journey that is life.
Fortify me for the fight ahead.
Because it will be a fight.
A fight to recognize that we are all made in Your image.

Help me Mother fore right now I'm all out of fucks to give.

Comments

Popular Posts